Monday, April 13, 2009

Teaching Financial Literacy

Remember the “olden” days when children hung out at their grand parents homes and lessons were taught. I learned how to knit and sew from my grandmother and have passed the sewing down to my children (girls and boys) and the knitting to my daughter and grand daughters. As modern-day Glamma Grandmas we have a tremendous amount to pass down, everything from cooking to finance to family history.

For those interested in helping your grandchildren learn personal financial principles, checkout the “Money Savvy Generation,”(http://www.msgen.com/assembled/home.html) a company founded by mom and private banker Susan Beacham and her husband with the intent of teaching money management to elementary children before bad habits developed. There is now also an intermediate personal finance curriculum for young teens in grades 6 – 10.

Newly published “Millionaire Kids Club Books” (available through Money Savvy Generation) further reinforces the learning as the series of books teach a group of childhood BFFs (Best Friends Forever) that money can have four purposes: Save, Spend, Donate, or Invest. What a concept to learn at a young age.

Running Hugs,
Glamma Grandma

1 comment:

  1. I agree, GlammaGrandma! I am still catching up and recovering from the lack of real-life financial education I got in high school. I had no idea it was a good idea to buy a house and could have 10 years ago. I made many financial mistakes since then and won't be able to buy a house for a while. Thanks to Dave Ramsey's amazingly basic teaching, though, I'm on my way now! Thanks for the resources. I will bookmark them!

    ReplyDelete