Tuesday, April 7, 2009

You Can Never Have Too Many Books

Thinking about our grandchildren, a Glamma always attempts to spoil them rotten and this means we seek out the best of everything. I recently wandered into the local Borders bookstore and two hours later begrudgingly left with three bags of books… and a pretty penny spent. There are some “classics” that no self-respecting grandchild should have to live without and developing a good library for a baby starts him or her on the path to appreciating the written word. The following 10 books are on my personal “must-have” list.

1. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd
The perfect bedtime book and even though you may have to read it more then
once each night, it slowly lulls your child to sleep.

2. The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
My daughter and I loved reading this book. I would always hold her just a bit
tighter and let her know that I would always be with her.

3. On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier
The child who is read this book will know that he or she is a significant part
of the universe. The parent reading this book will realize how wonderful their
new little miracle really is.

4. Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
Find the little mouse with the banana on every page.

5. Guess How Much I Love You by Sam Mcbratney, Anita Jeram
The perfect snuggle up book that sends the perfect message.

6. Wheels of the Bus by Jerry Smith
Can a child get through childhood without this classic song? This book captures
the popular song with wonderful illustrations.

7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Children learn counting and the days of the week as they watch a caterpillar eat
his way through the book.

8. Dr. Seuss’s ABC by Dr. Seuss
I read this book so many times to my son that both he and I memorized it.

9. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Counting and colors are easy to enjoy with this book.

10. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
After reading this book you must make green eggs for breakfast with your child.

Running Hugs,
GlammaGrandma

1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions, Glamma! I am hoping to pass along my bookaholism to my daughter. We have The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I'll look for the rest on half.com, my favorite vice!

    ReplyDelete